Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Attempting Pyramid Peak

Ben's car is not moving with us to Ohio.  So, I decided to take advantage of one additional weekday and go into the mountains for a hike.  I wanted to summit Pyramid Peak - which can be seen from Sacramento on a clear day - but the forecast was for afternoon rain, so I had to be off the trial by noon; I ended up taking the horsetail falls trail, which is a very difficult climb to the top.  I got close but couldn't quite get to the very top of the mountain - though I was high enough to get great views of the the Desolation wilderness of Lake Aloha, Dick's Peak, and Mt. Tallac.


Looking back up, it was hard to believe I didn't make it, but I could tell clouds were starting to build and I wanted to be safe.  


Luckily it was still a beautiful day and it was farther than I had gone in the past, when Brian and I climbed to the top.  Going on a weekday is always nice too - it feels very empty and peaceful.  I enjoy how horsetail falls cascades down the mountain.  Up at the top, you can see the higher reaches of Pyramid Creek Draining from Desolation lake. 


I ran into some new wildlife two.  I ran into a quail, and was surprised.  I didn't know California Quail came up this high - but when I looked it up, it wasn't a California Quail - it was a Mountain Quail - which is bigger and is found at the higher elevations.  Check out those head feathers!


I was also able to get a snapshot of a variable checkerspot butterfly - which is rather stunning I think!